Barbaros Karaahmet is co-chair of the firm's Turkish Practice Group.
A Turkish-American attorney, Barbaros utilizes his wide-ranging international experience and contacts to assist Herrick's multinational and Turkish clients with domestic and cross-border corporate, financial, real estate and litigation matters in the U.S., Turkey, Europe and a number of the CIS countries.
Barbaros works closely with Herrick's Real Estate Department, one of the largest in the New York City area. He is the liaison partner for the Republic of Turkey's largest real estate development project outside of Turkey, the Turkevi Center in New York. He also assists Turkish family businesses in identifying, acquiring, leasing and financing their U.S. real estate assets. Barbaros also has experience on a wide range of international trade matters including multinational agreements, international codes, conventions affecting commercial transactions, and the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments.
Barbaros assists international companies in establishing their U.S. operations, and frequently serves as their U.S. based general counsel. In that capacity, he often advises multinational companies in mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures in international markets. His experience includes cross-border transactions for multinational and Turkish clients in a wide range of sectors including banking, real estate, finance, luxury goods, fashion, healthcare, food and beverage, hospitality, media and e-commerce.
Barbaros frequently lectures and writes in English and Turkish on international trade and cross-border business and real estate issues, and is a co-author of the Turkish Law chapter in the book International Commercial Secured Transactions (Carswell, 2010). Barbaros just graduated from Harvard University's executive education program on advanced real estate finance and management.
Memberships & Associations
- Executive Member, The American-Turkish Council
- Board Member, World Link for Law
- Board Member, Turkish American Chamber of Commerce & Industry (TACCI)
- American Foreign Law Association
- American Business Forum in Turkey (AmCham/ABFT-Istanbul)
- Turkish American Business Association (TABA/AmCham)
- New York State Bar Association
- International Creditor Rights Committee
- Turkish-American Chamber of Commerce & Industry (TACCI)
- Vice President, American Turkish Business Development Council
- The Rotary Club of New York
- Past President
- The American Turkish Society
- Young Society Leaders (YSL)