Assistant Managing Attorney
JOB TITLE: Assistant Managing Attorney
DEPARTMENT: Managing Attorney Department FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Managing Attorney
SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday
HOURS: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, and as needed
Herrick, Feinstein LLP, a dynamic mid-sized law firm with offices in New York City and Newark, New Jersey, is seeking an Assistant Managing Attorney to join the Firm’s fast-paced Managing Attorney’s team in New York. Candidates must possess the knowledge and skills listed below and be able to adhere to Firm policies regarding the protection of confidential data. The ideal candidate also thrives in a collaborative environment where attorneys and staff work together to move the firm forward.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review documents for conformity to court rules.
- Work with attorneys and staff in all departments and offices to impart expert procedural advice and coordinate court-related services.
- Draft, review and revise simple litigation documents for review by attorneys, such as Notices of Entry, Notices of Motion, Notices of Appeal, Notices of Appearance, Stipulations, and the like.
- Conduct procedural research in all jurisdictions.
- Perform electronic filing using state and federal electronic filing systems, and update attorneys and staff on current electronic filing guidelines.
- Selectively bill time for substantive legal drafting and research as directed by billing partners.
- Prepare and distribute firmwide calendars and reminders, ensuring accuracy and consistency of the calendar entries.
- Confer and negotiate with outside attorney services regarding court retrieval and service of papers.
- Apply developing knowledge of Federal and New York State Court systems, in-house case management systems, and electronic filing systems.
- Remain current in trends in the legal profession.
- Assist with projects assigned by the General Counsel’s office.
- Participate in projects that increase value to clients, attorneys, timekeepers, and the Firm.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Admission to New York and New Jersey state bars.
- Knowledge of New York, New Jersey and Federal Court rules and procedures (expertise with New Jersey practice preferred).
- Communicate effectively, written and orally, with attorneys, staff and court personnel.
- Process electronic filing in various courts and docketing deadlines.
- Perform legal research utilizing PACER, Bloomberg Law, Westlaw, NYSCEF, NJ eCourts, and other databases.
- Draft and review basic litigation documents.
- Travel to court occasionally to handle filings, retrievals, and calendar appearances.
Prior managing attorney department preferred; experience as a court clerk/law clerk a plus.
Herrick, Feinstein LLP is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and values diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by federal, state, or local law or regulation.View Less