Over the past five decades, our Sports Law Group has forged deep and enduring relationships with the industry's key stakeholders.
We proudly advise many of the industry's biggest names, including the New York Yankees and Yankee Global Enterprises, Top Rank, the NCAA's Pac-12 Conference, Legends Hospitality, New York City Football Club, the Utah Jazz, the Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Racing Association. Our clients also include leagues and teams, owners and executives, athletes, sports agencies, investors, rights owners and licensees, sponsors, advertisers, event promoters and technology providers.
Our Sports Law Group, which is nationally ranked for excellence by Chambers USA, includes a complete roster of attorneys experienced in corporate, tax, real estate, debt and equity financing, project development, government relations, IP and new media, litigation and bankruptcy matters. Our lawyers regularly advise on the formation and operation of leagues and teams, sports joint ventures, stadium financing and construction matters, media and naming rights transactions, and a wide range of team acquisitions, sales, ownership transfers and relocations.
We also provide pragmatic, day-to-day counseling in the operation of sports businesses – tackling player and personnel issues, working capital arrangements, concession agreements, advertising contracts and alternative stadium use arrangements.
Off the field, we represent many team owners, executives and athletes in their outside investment activities, as well as in their tax, personal planning and liability protection matters.
- Represented Top Rank in the co-promotion, pay-per-view broadcast and TV sales agreements for Mayweather-Pacquiao, the highest grossing one-day sports event in history
- Represented Yankee Global Enterprises in its joint venture with Manchester City to create Major League Soccer's New York City Football Club
- Represented Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment, owner of the NBA's Utah Jazz, in a 10-year arena naming rights transaction with Vivint
- Represented the Tampa Bay Lightning in an arena naming rights transaction for Amalie Arena
- Represented Lelands in litigation filed in New York federal court by former NFL player Jim Brown regarding the recovery of a 1964 NFL championship ring alleged to have been stolen
- Represented a national bank, as syndicate lender, in the National Hockey League's $1.4 billion credit facility
- Represented Joe Tacopina in the acquisition of the Italian soccer club Venezia F.C.
- Representing Pac-12 Conference, a Power 5 NCAA college football conference, in multimedia and commercial transactions
Sports Technology, Media and Telecommunications
Herrick lawyers have been at the forefront of a number of transformative concepts in the sports media, technology and telecommunications space – including regional sports broadcasting and pay-per-view broadcasting, both of which were brought to life by clients who relied on our guidance, from idea to evolution. And we remain at the forefront of the space, advising on many of the industry's biggest media distribution deals.
Acquisitions, Dispositions and Bids for Professional Teams
We have represented numerous ownership groups in ownership transfers, and in bids to acquire NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB and EPL franchises – including the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Jersey Nets, New York Islanders and Nashville Predators.
Stadium Financing, Leasing and Construction Matters
Many franchise owners have relied on Herrick for a wide range of stadium financing, leasing, construction, naming rights and operational matters. Our recent work spans major venues across the country, including the new Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Red Bull Arena, MetLife Stadium, National Grid Park, Amalie Arena, Vivint Smart Home Arena, Richmond County Ballpark and PNC Field.
We regularly advise financial institutions and franchise owners on a wide range of complex high-yield note offerings, bond financings, term and revolving credit facilities and syndicated financings.
Concerts and Alternative Stadium Events
We have represented stadiums, promoters and broadcasters in connection with major concerts by Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, The Three Tenors and Andrea Bocelli. We have also developed comprehensive site agreements for major alternative stadium events such as college football's New Era Pinstripe Bowl, the Stadium Slugfest and a series of college football games between Army and Notre Dame.