For many years our Sports Law Group has been nationally ranked for excellence by Chambers USA and Legal 500, and ranked an elite firm by Sports Business Journal, due in part to our five decades of industry experience, the breadth of our capabilities, and the deep and enduring relationships we maintain with key industry stakeholders.
We feature a complete roster of attorneys experienced in sports-related corporate, tax, real estate, finance, project development, government relations, intellectual property, litigation and bankruptcy matters. We regularly advise on the formation and operation of leagues and teams, sports joint ventures, arena and stadium financing and construction matters, media and naming rights transactions, sports investments, and high-profile team acquisitions, sales, ownership transfers and relocation concerns.
We also provide pragmatic, day-to-day counseling in the operation of sports businesses – tackling player and personnel issues, working capital arrangements, concession agreements, advertising contracts and alternative stadium use arrangements. Off the field, we represent many team owners, executives and athletes in their outside investment activities, as well as in their tax, personal planning and liability protection matters.
- Under Armour's multiyear global sponsorship and apparel transaction with the National Basketball Association
- Top Rank's co-promotion, pay-per-view broadcast and TV sales agreements for Mayweather-Pacquiao, the highest grossing one-day sports event in history
- Yankee Global Enterprises' joint venture with Manchester City to create Major League Soccer's New York City FC
- Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment's 10-year arena naming rights transaction for Utah's Vivint Smart Home Arena
- The Tampa Bay Lightning's multi-year arena naming rights transaction for Amalie Arena
- Lelands, in federal litigation filed by former NFL player Jim Brown, concerning his 1964 NFL championship ring
- A syndicated lender's participation in the National Hockey League's $1.4 billion credit facility
- Joe Tacopina's acquisition of the Italian soccer club Venezia F.C.
- The NCAA's Pac-12 Conference in multimedia and commercial transactions
Sports Technology, Media and Telecommunications
Herrick lawyers have been at the forefront of a number of transformative concepts in the sports media, technology and telecommunications space – including regional sports broadcasting and pay-per-view broadcasting, both of which were brought to life by clients who relied on our guidance, from idea to evolution. And we remain at the forefront of the space, advising on many of the industry's biggest media distribution deals.
Acquisitions, Dispositions and Bids for Professional Teams
We have represented numerous ownership groups in ownership transfers, and in bids to acquire NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB and EPL franchises – including the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Jersey Nets, New York Islanders and Nashville Predators.
Stadium Financing, Leasing and Construction Matters
Many franchise owners have relied on Herrick for a wide range of stadium financing, leasing, construction, naming rights and operational matters. Our recent work spans major venues across the country, including the new Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Red Bull Arena, MetLife Stadium, National Grid Park, Amalie Arena, Vivint Smart Home Arena, Richmond County Ballpark and PNC Field.
We regularly advise financial institutions and franchise owners on a wide range of complex sports financings. Recently, we have represented a syndicated lender in the NHL's $1.4 billion league wide credit facility, a regional sports network in a $625 million term loan facility and $250 million high-yield note offering, a major league baseball team in a $250 million credit facility, an affiliate of the New York Jets and the New York Giants in a $650 million bond placement for MetLife Stadium, and the New York Yankees in the $1.5 billion municipal bond financing of the new Yankee Stadium.
Concerts and Alternative Stadium Events
We have represented stadiums, promoters and broadcasters in the production of major concerts by artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, The Three Tenors and Andrea Bocelli. We have also developed comprehensive site agreements for major sporting events such as college football's New Era Pinstripe Bowl, the Stadium Slugfest and a series of college football games between Army and Notre Dame.