How do I ask my board for a closer parking spot to accommodate my disability?

March 12, 2024 – Media Mention
Brick Underground 

Herrick partner, Bruce Cholst, was quoted in a Brick Underground article answering a reader's question about steps mobility-impaired residents can take to obtain parking accommodations from their building's board. 

The article notes that the first step a resident can take is getting a letter from their physician. "This is not the time to skimp on information," says Bruce. "Ask for a detailed doctor's letter to back up the request. The doctor's letter should first state their medical credentials, and it should be a formal and substantive letter, not just a two-sentence letter."

Once you have your documentation ready, Bruce recommends sending a letter to your board asking for a "reasonable accommodation" for your disability. Boards can get defensive, so it’s best to take a very polite tone, Bruce adds.

"You don't want to put the board on the defensive at this stage," Bruce says. "The board just needs the facts."

You should make your request by certified mail, so you can begin to establish a paper trail if your board refuses to grant you an accommodation, Bruce explains.

The article highlights that if your board doesn’t give you an accommodation, Bruce recommends sending a courteous letter asking them to reconsider your request and laying out your options if they again decline filing a complaint with the New York City Commission on Human Rights, the New York State Division of Human Rights, or filing a lawsuit.

Read the full article in Brick Underground here.