Herrick Expands Real Estate Department with the Addition of New Partner Ellen L. Shapiro
New York, February 11, 2015 – Herrick, Feinstein LLP, a full-service law firm and a leader in commercial real estate law since 1928, has expanded its prominent real estate department with the addition of new partner Ellen L. Shapiro.
Ellen, who joins Herrick from Squire Patton Boggs, concentrates her practice on real estate finance, hospitality and leasing transactions for borrowers, institutional lenders, sellers and purchasers, landlord and tenants, and a wide range of hotel owners, management companies, franchisors and licensors. In addition to her real estate-related practice, Ellen represents lenders in asset-based lending (ABL) transactions.
Her arrival strengthens Herrick's full-service commercial real estate department, which has recently advised on a wide range of high-profile matters, including:
- The negotiation of a memorandum of understanding between an affiliate of New York City FC and the City of New York, for the financing, construction, development and build-out of a new soccer stadium
- The sale of a large waterfront development site in Astoria, Queens, spanning Vernon Boulevard through 12th Street, to an affiliate of Criterion Group
- The joint venture development of a luxury high-rise condominium in downtown Fort Lauderdale, by affiliates of Rabina Properties and the Related Group, in a joint venture with a fund managed by Perella Weinberg Partners
- A large construction loan for The Lightstone Group, paving the way for the development of a 425-unit mixed use development at 365 Bond Street in Brooklyn, on the Gowanus Canal
- Billions of dollars in real estate financings originated by major financial institutions
Ellen's significant experience advising hotel owners, managers, franchisors and licensors also strengthens Herrick's hospitality practice. Herrick attorneys have advised owners, investors and lenders in the acquisition, development, financing and equity investment of more than $5 billion in hotel and resort assets located throughout the U.S., Mexico, Canada and throughout the Caribbean, as well as in diverse hotel management matters.
"Our real estate department is a versatile group with exceptional experience in almost every facet of real estate law, and a well-honed ability to gauge what is market at any given time," said Herrick real estate department chair Belinda G. Schwartz. "Ellen certainly fits that mold. Her diverse experience in debt and equity financings, restructurings, and hospitality and other complex real estate transactions only adds to our full-service capabilities."
About Herrick, Feinstein LLP:
Founded in 1928, Herrick, Feinstein LLP is a prominent 140-lawyer firm providing a full range of legal services, including commercial litigation, real estate, art law, bankruptcy and business reorganization, corporate law, employment law, government relations, insurance, intellectual property, sports law, and tax and personal planning. Headquartered in New York City, the firm has offices in Newark and Princeton, New Jersey; Washington D.C. and Istanbul, Turkey.
Herrick's Real Estate Department is widely regarded as one of the leading commercial real estate law practices in the New York region. Named a "real estate powerhouse" by Crain's New York Business, Herrick's attorneys and urban planners represents public and private companies on a full spectrum of issues, including financing and acquisitions, land use and zoning, development and construction, hospitality, distressed debt, leasing, litigation and government relations.