New York State Bar EASL Diversity Committee on Music Sampling & Co-Authorship
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
The New York State Bar EASL Diversity Committee will present, Protecting Your Share, Respecting What's Fair: Sampling and Co-Authorship in Pop, Urban, and Dance Music - Relevant Legal Precedent and Practical Legal Tips for songwriters, artists, and producers. The panelists will be Barry Werbin, Esq., Herrick Feinstein, Judith Finell, musicologist, Richard Chused, professor, New York School of Law, Dorothy Weber, Esq., Shukat Arrow Hafer Weber & Herbsman, L.L.P, and Michael “Blue” Williams, CEO, Family Tree Entertainment.
- Relevant precedent and the court's current take on sampling and co-authorship.
- The history of master recording and song sampling in urban, hip hop, and pop music.
- How to claim your rights to your contribution to a song.
- How and when to clear a sample before using it for your song.
- Understanding the songwriting process so as to best counsel songwriter/artist clients.
To RSVP please email, [email protected].