Cybersecurity is one of the most serious challenges facing regulated and unregulated companies and organizations across all industries. A cyber event can affect every aspect of a commercial enterprise, from operational issues to reputational concerns and insurance coverage, so our lawyers apply an incisive, enterprise-wide view of the risks.
We help clients protect their confidential and proprietary information, respond to data breaches, and mitigate operational and investment risk, while enhancing regulatory compliance through the development of policies and procedures that conform with applicable U.S. laws, foreign laws and industry standards. Our robust capabilities in government relations, commercial litigation, insurance and data management also inform our approach to cybersecurity, and make us an ideal advisor should a government investigation or class action suit arise.
In everything we do, we also consider the fiduciary duties of directors and officers in protecting proprietary information, and the personally identifiable information of customers and third parties – a key concern whether you are subject to SEC, New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), HIPAA or other regulatory requirements, or are an unregulated business that accesses, stores or processes personally identifiable information.
Areas of Focus:
- SEC and NYDFS compliance counseling
- FTC enforcement
- Cybersecurity and data privacy policies (internal and public facing web-based)
- Contracts and protocols with third parties that process, store or otherwise access personally identifiable information and confidential data
- Management privacy issues
- Cyber insurance
- Government investigations
- Class action lawsuits
- Data breaches and state law compliance
- GDPR compliance for doing business with EU citizens