Herrick’s Intellectual Property Group draws on the legal acumen of copyright, trademark and trial and transactional lawyers, seasoned in the protection of everything from brand names and original content to novel ideas and proprietary technology.
We have extensive experience licensing brands, content and publicity rights, and litigating copyright, trademark, licensing and other IP disputes in state and federal courts. We feature a robust copyright and trademark practice focused on clearing, registering, maintaining and assigning copyrights and trademarks in the U.S. and abroad. International entities also frequently turn to us to protect, license and enforce their rights in the U.S., and our global network of trademark counsel gives our multinational clients international reach with centralized administration, registration and enforcement capabilities.
Registration and Prosecution Services
Our experienced trademark attorneys provide cost-effective counsel focused on clearing, registering, maintaining and assigning trademarks in the U.S. and abroad. We also assist clients with copyright registration and copyright and patent assignments. We regularly respond to U.S. Patent and Trademark Office actions and U.S. Copyright Office communications, and issue comprehensive trademark use and registration opinions.
We assist clients in conducting IP due diligence, documenting IP transfers, preparing and recording IP security agreements, and issuing enforceability and risk assessment opinions. We also provide incisive counsel for M&A transactions involving IP assets, including joint ventures, strategic alliances and IP asset acquisitions and financings.
Intellectual Property Litigation
Our litigators have broad experience enforcing IP rights and assets in a wide variety of industries. We also regularly litigate copyright, trademark and licensing disputes, and other types of IP disputes in federal and state courts, as well as trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Areas of Focus:
- Anti-counterfeiting counseling and enforcement
- Contract disputes involving IP
- Copyright registration, assignment and counseling
- Data breach litigation
- Design patent litigation
- Domain name and cybersquatting disputes
- False advertising
- IP and technology transfers and joint ventures
- Investing ownership and copyright status of work authorship
- Licensing and assignment transactions and disputes
- M&A due diligence
- Media, sponsorship and naming rights transactions
- Patent counseling
- Publishing agreements
- Publicity and privacy rights
- Sponsored research agreements
- Software and website development and licensing agreements
- Trade dress infringement
- Trade secret audits, agreements and disputes
- Trademark clearance, prosecution and portfolio management
- Trademark and copyright infringement
- Unfair competition