In his seven decades as a lawyer, city official, judge, and political advisor, Justice Milton Mollen made a profound impact on New York City. Since 2001, Herrick was fortunate to collaborate with Justice Mollen, in his role as Counsel to the firm, until his retirement in July, 2016.
His extensive public sector experience includes 24 years on the bench, 12 of which he served as Presiding Justice of the New York State Appellate Division, Second Department. After retiring from the judiciary, he served the City in various roles, including as a Deputy Mayor for Public Safety, where he led the City’s effort to get the Safe Streets, Safe City crime prevention program enacted by the State Legislature.
Justice Mollen later founded the New York office of Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS), the largest private alternative dispute resolution provider in the world. He leveraged this extensive judicial and public sector experience to mediate a variety of civil disputes, including:
- Insurance coverage and other insurance disputes
- Construction cases
- Labor disputes, including management-labor disputes, prevailing wage disputes, and union election monitoring
- Personal injury and wrongful death claims
- Professional malpractice, including medical, dental, legal, accounting and architectural malpractice
- Bankruptcy cases
- Breach of contract cases
- Class actions against corporations and municipalities
- Environmental claims
- Employer-employee disputes, including wrongful discharge, harassment and discrimination cases
- Commercial and contract disputes
Justice Mollen served as Ethical Practices Counsel to the International Longshoreman’s Association, a union that plays an important role with respect to the ports of New York and New Jersey. Until 2016, he also served as a Federal Court Appointed Monitor to the International Council of Teamsters, Local 282. In this role he helped eliminate organized crime’s pervasive and historic influence in commercial endeavors in the City.
He also served on the Board of Directors and Trustees of Brooklyn Hospital, an institution that provides vital healthcare to the northern part of Brooklyn.